- It’s hard to imagine what an abusive situation is like if you have never been in one. Rihanna shared her horrific experience with Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America. This was the first time she openly talked about Chris Brown attacking her. She spoke candidly about their relationship and the aftermath of the incident. Rihanna made the focus of the interview a warning to girls about domestic abuse. It’s applause worthy that she was willing to be open about an intimate moment in her life, one that most people in her situation wouldn’t even want to remember.
- Get excited because your favorite childhood gang is turning 40. Yep, believe it or not, Big Bird and his friends have been around for 4 decades. In honor of this big birthday, Jimmie Kimmel had big bird on his show. I never thought Big Bird could hold his own outside of Sesame Street. It’s interesting to see him in a relaxed environment talking about something other than the ABCs and 123s.
- Justin Timberlake has signed on to voice the character of Boo Boo, Yogi Bear’s sidekick, in a 2010 animated movie based on Yogi. The movie will follow Yogi’s activities in Jelly Park. Once again, we will get to hear that deep voice we fell in love with. Hopefully, Boo Boo will have a dynamic presence on screen like Yogi.
- Most high schools have the same generic dress code: no short skirts, sagging pants, belly button shirts, muscle shirts, etc. But what if someone of one sex wants to dress like someone of the other? Dressing to express gender identity and sexual orientation has become more popular in high schools in recent years. An article on the New York Times website featured this issue and gave examples of the trouble it has caused among teenagers. The focus of the article is to raise subject awareness and show different perspectives. Read it! As a progressive society, we should educate ourselves about all the challenges people face so that we can do something about it.
- Everyone loves Starbucks. It’s the perfect place for people on-the-go. But will you be able to go anywhere after taking in a high calorie item like the Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte? In case you didn’t know, it’s 380 calories and has17 grams of fat. Not so yummy any more, huh? Check out the High Calorie Dishes to Avoid at Your Favorite Restaurants countdown. There, you will find a list of foods that aren’t as good for you as you want them to be.
- Can you put a price on freedom? Former Florida inmate, William Dillion, is trying to. Dillion was exonerated last November, after he was sent to prison for a crime he didn’t commit. Now, he wants the law enforcement and government officials that sent him away to pay up. He is much more interested in them righting their wrong than the taxpayers having to pay for their wrongdoing. This won’t happen, but Dillion is seeking satisfaction in telling his story and letting the world know about this mistake.
- “Yeahhh!” Lil’ John’s catchphrase can be heard once again in his new music video, Give it All u Got. I have no idea what he is saying. Maybe you can understand. Watch the video and judge for yourself, but I warn it doesn’t sound like the same Lil John we knew before. Instead of making you want to ‘Get Low’ if makes you feel low.
- As if it was embarrassing enough for the pilots who overshot the airport, the whole world now knows it’s because they weren’t paying attention. Everyone can see the letter the FAA sent to them detailing why they are losing their licenses. There’s nothing like public humiliation to set you straight!
– Sola Ayodeji